These chickpea fritters are a great healthy snack or can be used as part of a meal with sides.(source)
Why do we love this recipe?
Besides the great taste – the ingredients list contains most items already in your kitchen, and a tin of chickpeas costs less than R20 and is packed with plant-based protein – win!
Made with just a few simple ingredients, they are quick to prep and cook and are ready to serve in less than 20 minutes. Watch the easy video below then scroll down for the recipe and ingredients.
Enjoy!SEE MORE BUDGET FRIENDLY RECIPES HERE >
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA FRITTERS
In a bowl, combine the fritter ingredients and use a fork to mash everything together. It will take a little elbow grease, and you can do it faster using a mini food processor, but it definitely works fine with a fork.
Divide the mixture into six uniform thin patties. Keeping them thin will ensure that the chickpea fritters cook well on the inside without burning on the outside.
Fry the patties in a large pan for two to three minutes on each side until golden brown and firm. And then you’re ready to add these to salads, dip them in a sauce or just enjoy them on their own!
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKPEA FRITTERS
- Make them gluten-free. You can use any other gluten-free flour you’d like.
- Let the oil get hot before you fry the fritters. This will allow them to get wonderfully browned and golden and crispy on the outside.
- Drain and rinse your canned chickpeas. The liquid that they are stored in can be quite salty, so be sure to rinse them in a sieve or colander to remove excess sodium. You’ll need to add a couple of tablespoons of water to help them bind, but it’s best to use fresh water for that.
- Double the recipe easily. You can easily double all the ingredients to make 12 instead of 6 patties. If you do so, I highly recommend using a food processor because mashing double the ingredients with a fork will be much more tedious.
Chickpea Fritters – 6 servings
▢1 15-ounce canned chickpeas rinsed, drained
▢¼ cup all-purpose flour
▢¼ cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
▢1 tablespoon chopped parsley
▢1 teaspoon cumin
▢½ teaspoon garlic powder
▢½ teaspoon salt
▢¼ teaspoon black pepper
▢2 tablespoons water
▢2 tablespoons canola oil
▢tahini sauce for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, all-purpose flour, parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add two tablespoons of water and use a fork or masher to combine the ingredients until they are well blended.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and form into thin patties.
- In a large pan, heat the oil until it’s shimmering. Then add the chickpea fritters and cook until browned and fully cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil, then serve with tahini sauce or any other sauce of choice.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, in a skillet with a little olive oil, or in an air fryer before serving.
- Freezing Instructions: You can also freeze the fritters before or after cooking them.
- To freeze them prior to cooking, lay them on a flat baking dish in the freezer for at least 4 hours. When frozen, place them in an airtight bag. Thaw in the fridge overnight and cook per instructions.
- To freeze them after cooking, simply store them in an airtight bag after they’ve cooled. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake in a 350°F oven until heated through.
We love getting notifications from the mumbox community – so don’t forget to share a pic on social media and tag us if you try this recipe #mumbox
Mums will you be trying this delicious recipe? Comment below and let us know x